Dr Ashok Rajgopal is one of the seniormost Knee Replacement Surgeons in the country. He did post graduation in Orthopaedics from All India Institute of Medical Sciences in the year 1979. He followed it up with M.Ch in Orthopaedics from Liverpool, UK in the year 1983. In the last 35 years he has done more than 25000 Knee Surgeries including arthroscopies and arthroplasties. A career which saw him heading the orthopaedic departments at Sitaram Bhartia Institute, Fortis Hospital Noida, Medanta Medicity and Fortis Hospital Gurgaon, he is considered as one of the finest knee replacement surgeon in the country. Patients from all over the world come to India to get Knee Surgery done from Dr Rajgopal.
On 30th June 2017, Dr. Ashok Rajgopal became north India's first orthopaedic surgeon to perform a robotic joint replacement surgery on a 61 years old lady from Sealdah, Kolkata.
In solo practice since 1986, Dr Rajgopal restricted his professional work to knee surgery (Total Knee replacement, arthroscopies and trauma around the knee) and sports medicine. He has conducted over 40 national level workshops in Arthroscopy in various part of the country and delivered several guest lectures at national level conferences. His center is accredited for training in Arthroscopic surgery by the Indian Orthopaedic association. He has delivered over 50 lectures in national level conferences on Arthroplasty. Conducted live demonstration surgeries as part of teaching program for Post Graduates and Fellows. He has been invited as a guest speaker in several international conferences at Seoul, Hawaii, Cairns, Barcelona, Dundee UK, Beijing, Shanghai, and Singapore. Delivered the Discovery Series Lecture in Dundee in Sep 2002. He was awarded the fellowship of the International Medical Sciences Academy in 1996. He was appointed Honorary Orthopedic surgeon to the President of India in 1997. Dr Ashok Rajgopal is credited with the first bilateral TKR in India (Apr 1987), first MIS Unicompartmental replacement (Mar 2002). He has carried out over 306 MIS TKRs and have developed instrumentation for the same. He has the largest experience of revision total knee replacement in the country. He is the Founder secretary of the Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society (APAS).
MBBS : Pune University, India, 1974
MS (Orthopaedics) : AIIMS, New Delhi, 1979
MCh (Orthopaedics) : Liverpool, UK, 1983
Indian Orthopaedic Association - Life Member
Indian Arthroplasty Association - Life Member
Indian Arthroscopy Socienty - President
International Medical Science Academy - Fellow
ISAKOS - Active Member
Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society - Founder Secretary, Past President
General Medical Council (UK) - Permanent Registration
Indian Hip & Knee Society - Founder Member Vice-President and President Elect
I cannot stress strongly enough how pleased I am with my bilateral TKR surgical outcome, as well as with the level of care and attention provided to me by Dr. Rajgopal, his Assisting Physicians, the Physiotherapists, and the Nursing staff. In fact, I truly believe the level of care given by Dr. Rajgopal and his team of medical professionals exceeded that which I would have received in the United States. I have no reservations whatsoever in recommending Dr. Rajgopal and his team. I experienced minimal pain following surgery and at two weeks post-surgery I am walking essentially pain-free without an assistive device and am loving every step. I am so glad that I made the decision to get new knees so that I may begin fully enjoying life again. A big thank you (and big hug) to Dr. Rajgopal and his team for all that they have so warmly done for me!
Jennifer Augspurger, Esq.
Attorney at Law
I underwent a Total Knee Replacement surgery of my left knee by Dr. Rajgopal at the age of 94 yrs. I am now completely pain free and have resumed all my normal activities which includes stair climbing, Shooting for films, walking and dancing. I would like to thank Dr.Ashok for the wonderful work done by him.
Zohra Sehgal (TV and Theater Artist)
Papers Presented as Invited speaker :
1. Excellence in Arthroplasty – Brisbane ‘2004.
Invited to a Demonstration live surgery 15th JAN 2004 in addition to talks.
2. Asia Pacific Arthroplasty Society: – Kuala Lumpur 2003, Seoul 2001, Shanghai 2000, and Delhi 1999.
3. Glen Eagles, (U.K):- Arthroplasty Meeting 2003, & 2002.
4. Dundee, (U.K): – Delivered Discovery Series lecture – MIS TKR 2002.
5. China: – Joint surgery symposium 2001.
6. Cairns: – Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Symposium 2000.
7. Singapore: – Arthroplasty Course Lecture 1995, 1993.
8. Hawaii, (USA): – Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Symposium 2000.
9. Royal College Of Surgeons of Edinburgh: -Conducted Course, on Knee Arthroplasty with Prof David Rowley 2003, Hyderabad, Pune, India.
Papers Presentation at Conferences in India :
1. Deptt. Of Orthopaedic Association: – April 1989.
2. Xth Annual Conference IOA: – Bhopal 1991.
3. Gujrat Orthopaedic Association: – 1992
4. Management Of knee Problems Indore Orthopaedic Association: – Indore August 1993.
5. XII Annual Conference North Zone: – Rohtak Feb 1993.
6. Asian Federation Of Orthopaedics and Trauma: – Chennai Feb 1993.
7. Arthoscopy 94: – Varanasi April 1994.
8. WIROC: – Mumbai 1994
9. Symposium Cum Workshop On Arthoscopy: – Ghaziabad March 1994.
10. IOACON: – Pune 1995.
11. Muzaffarnagar Orthopaedic Society: – Feb 1995
12. UPCON 96: – Dehradun -Feb 1996
13. Deptt. Of Orthopaedic Surgery: – Lucknow April 1996.
14. 3rd IOA Conference: – 1996 April Rohtak
15. Indian Arthroplasty Association: – Mumbai Nov 1997.
16. TRAUMA 97: – Delhi May 1997
17. Indian Association of Sports Medicine: – 1997
18. Arthoscopy And Sports: – Aug 1998.
19. Army Hospital R & R Surgery Updates: – 1998
20. Indian Sports Medicine Congress: – New Delhi Dec 1999.
21. Arthroscopy Workshop Northen Railway Hospital: – Kanpur April 2000.
22. Arthroscopy Workshop: – Deptt. Of Orthopaedics: – Pune Jan 2000.
23. VIII International Multi-Faculty Medical Conference:- Mumbai – Feb 2001.
24. Arthritis 8th IOA ICL: – Pune April 2001
25. 20th Annual Conference North Zone: – Rohtak Feb 2001.
26. Indian Sports Medicine Congress: – New Delhi April 2001
27. ACADIM: – New Delhi – Dec 2001
28. Arthoplasty workshop- 46th IOACON: – Ahmedabad 2001.
29. 4th Biennial conference Of Indian Arthroplasty Association: – Mangalore Sep 2001.
30. ACADIM: – New Delhi – Dec 2002.
31. Dr. L. H. LOBO Memorial Trust 20th Annual function: – Ludhiana Nov 2002.
32. IX International Faculty Medical Conference: – New Delhi Feb 2002
33. National Conference on Total Knee Replacements: – Chennai July 2003
34. Total Knee Arthropalsty Workshop: – Jan 2003 Hyderabad.
35. JRSOA Conference 2003: – Mumbai Oct 2003.
36. International Symposium on TKA in 2003 Practice: – New Delhi Dec 2003
37. Royal College Of Surgeons Edinburgh Basic Knee Arthroplasty Course: – Pune.2003
38. Ranawat Orthopadic Research Foundation: – Jan 2003.
39. Royal College Of Surgeons Edinburgh Basic Knee Arthroplasty Course: – Hyderabad 2003.
40. DOACON: – New Delhi Jan 2004
41. Ranawat Orthopadic Research Foundation: – Jan 2004.
42. Indian Association Of sports Medicine
43. Symposium – GOC on Conference on Joint Replacement: – Ghaziabad (UP)
44. Vth Annual conference Punjab Chapter Of IOA: – Punjab
45. Workshop On Arthroscopy: – Raipur.
Kim Brian from the Sacramento County of California, USA came to India to get Hip Replacement Surgery done. He travelled alone because he could not afford the expenses for an attendant. His surgery was done by Dr IPS Oberoi at Artemis Health Institute. Watch this video where Kim is sharing his experiences.
Mr. Mark Wisman suffered an injury to his knee while driving his pickup. For years he lived in pain and finally landed in India for Total Knee Replacement Surgery to be done by Dr. Ashok Rajgopal at Medanta Medicity. He had some interesting things to say about treatment in India specially the cost of the treatment.